A respectful attitude takes into account your
self-esteem, your sense of well-being
and your personhood.
Disrespect (or "dissing") is stigmatizing behavior. It is disregard for your needs and
culture. It can include ridicule, belittlement or coercion.
Physical, sexual and emotional abuse are violations of your right to be treated with
Your Rights (OAC
1. The right to be treated with consideration and respect for personal dignity,
autonomy and privacy.
15. The right to be informed in advance of the reason(s) for discontinuation of service
provision, and to be involved in planning for the consequences of that event.
16. The right to receive an explanation of the reasons for denial of service.
17. The right not to be discriminated against in the provision of service on the basis
of religion, race, color, creed, sex, national origin, age, lifestyle, physical or mental
handicap, developmental disability or inability to pay.
18. The right to know the cost of services.
Back to Building Blocks